Colliers has just released its 2022 Global Capital Markets Investor Outlook Report in which investors shared their views on strategy across asset types and risk profiles. Here are some of the key takeaways.
- Dallas is the top market for investment in 2022.
- Investors are optimistic about the economic outlook — 87% see it as positive. They’re also encouraged by strong market liquidity, rent growth, and availability of debt.
- Unsurprisingly, industrial remains the most popular investment target, followed by multifamily.
- Office is back for 2022. Capital is expected to pivot to office, particularly in urban centers like Manhattan, Boston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco.
- Retail investors will continue to target grocery-anchored centers but are showing more optimism about urban retail.
- Hotel investors will focus on value-add plays in the coming year.
- Life science/lab’s run as the top alternative asset class will continue in 2022.
- Specialized housing, such as affordable, student, senior, and single-family rental, will also be popular.
- Investors are concerned about rising construction costs and uncertainty around government policies and regulations.
- ESG considerations are gaining traction. Nearly two-thirds of investors have either assessed their assets’ energy efficiency and emissions or are integrating new protocols and performance benchmarks.
Read the full report here.