In Colliers’ Summer 2019 edition of the Healthcare Services Report, we provide an overview of Post-Acute Care (PAC) and focus on Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs), a key segment of the PAC continuum. In addition to defining the nature of IRFs, we focus on their growth; policy and income considerations; sales and pricing trends; and provide some pointers for investors. In part two of this report to be published this Fall, attention will be centered on Behavioral Health Facilities, another major inpatient segment.
- Post-Acute Care (PAC) is playing a crucial and increasing role in the healthcare delivery system
- Inpatient Rehabilitation Facilities (IRFs) represent the fastest-growing area of PAC
- The key challenge for IRFs is reimbursement, given their high proportion of Medicare patients
- Freestanding, off-campus IRFs have the greatest operating margins
- IRF investment performance is on par with mainstream medical office
- Specialization and joint ventures are on the rise as IRFs seek to stay ahead
For more details, download the full report here.